Revised Date: Nov. 21, 2019
With respect to our membership and fundraising practices, we adhere to A Donor Bill of Rights, which requires that we handle all information about our Members and Donors with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law. Members and Donors always have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from any lists that we may intend to share pursuant to this Policy.
2. Information collection practices
Collecting information allows us to improve your experience in using our Services. In many cases, the information we collect is non-personal and cannot be tied back to the individual user. In other cases, personal information is only collected when users explicitly share it with us. We also utilize technologies such as cookies to save user preferences and collect data.
2.1 Personal Information
We collect user submitted information such as names, email addresses, mailing addresses, age and financial information. We use this information, which is collected directly from you and with your knowledge, to process and verify transactions and to send you requested information.
Information such as location, education or occupation information, and browsing history may also be collected through third-party applications or affiliates to help us improve upon the user experience. This information does not usually directly identify you, but it can be used to give you a more personalized web experience. See cookie settings for more information and to opt in or out of specific cookie types on this website.
2.2 Non-Personal Information
We may collect non-personal information such as browser or device types, crash reports, page load speeds, and related technical information to help us improve the performance of our Services. See cookie settings for more information and to opt in or out of specific cookie types on this website.
Our website stores and retrieves information on your browser in the form of cookies, which are small files stored on your computer that help customize the website to your needs. You may review and update your cookie settings for this website at any time. You may also disable cookies by changing the settings on your browser.
2.4. Do not track technologies
3. How we use your information
We collect personal as well as anonymous information from our Guests and may use this information to create aggregate information. In some cases, we may share information as further described in the “Information sharing” section below. The types of information we collect are described as follows ("Collected Information"):
- Personal Information. In order for you to access certain Services and information, or make donations and purchases, we require you to provide us with certain information that personally identifies you ("Personal Information"). Personal Information may be provided via our web Services as well as in person or through the mail and includes the following categories of information:
- Contact Data (such as your name, mailing address and email address), which you may provide when you create an account, supply your email to us at a photobooth or opt in to email communications. We may use your Contact Data to contact you regarding your purchase, donation or visit to the Aquarium, or your use of our websites or applications. We may also use your Contact Data to send you information or promotional materials about the Aquarium, our partners' products or services and to solicit donations or invite you to become a member of the Aquarium.
- Financial Data (such as your bank account or credit card number) which you provide when you make a purchase or donation through our sites or applications. We may use Financial Data you have provided to bill you for products and Services you have requested.
- Demographic Data (such as your zip code, age and income). We may use your Demographic Data to customize and tailor your experience by displaying content that we think you might be interested in and according to your preferences.
- Other Data which you provide by communicating with us by email, via social media sites, text message or other electronic means, by accessing Services through a third-party site or service, by posting messages to any of our chat groups, bulletin boards or forums, or by completing online forms, surveys or contest entries through our Services. We may use this Other Data to contact you regarding your comment or request.
- Location Information. When Guests access Services online, we have the ability to recognize IP addresses (the number assigned to computers and mobile devices on the internet) and general physical location (such as your city). We may use Location Information for marketing purposes, to better understand the demographics of our Guests.
- Use, Viewing and Technical Information. The Services may also gather anonymous "traffic data" that does not personally identify you, such as which webpages are visited, the type of device and screen size used to access Services, the length of time Services are used, preferred language, and the websites visited immediately before arriving at one of our websites. We may use this anonymous information for marketing purposes, may share it with business partners and advertisers, and may analyse it to help us improve Services for our Guests.
- Comments and Suggestions. We welcome your feedback and provide opportunities online and at the Aquarium for you to submit comments and ideas, make suggestions, request information and to report problems. Even if you contact us through one of our forms through the Services, we cannot determine your email address unless you include it in your response. We may wish to post your feedback and will do so anonymously, or will identify you by your first name, initials, or display name only, unless you specifically authorize otherwise. Please note that any suggestions or ideas you submit to us will become the property of the Aquarium and can be used by us for any purpose.
- Surveys. If you choose to participate in one of our surveys, we may ask you for certain Demographic and other Personal Information. We may use information from surveys to better understand our Guests and to improve our Services. We may share Demographic or Other Information but only on an aggregate (i.e., non-personally identifiable) basis.
- Interactive Programs. Our Services may contain interactive programs in which you can participate. Any information that you provide will be stored in our system and will not be shared with others.
4. Information sharing
We may share certain categories of Collected Information we collect from you as follows:
- Third-Party Affiliates and Other Tax-Exempt Organizations. From time to time we may share limited Personal Information in the form of donor lists or list of members with affiliated entities or other tax-exempt organizations with which we have on-going relationships. If you do not wish your Personal Information to be included in the lists we share with such third parties, simply elect to decline the sharing of such Personal Information with Affiliates or other Tax-Exempt Organizations when you join or renew your membership or donation commitment or contact us.
- Third-Party Advertisers. We share Demographic Data, Use, Viewing and Technical Information and Location Information with advertisers and other third parties, but only on an aggregate (i.e., non-personally identifiable) basis.
- Third-Party Direct Marketers. We do not share your information with third-party direct marketers, unless you opt-in to such sharing. If you choose to "opt in" when submitting your Personal Information, we may share your Contact Data with other companies who may send you information about their products or services. If you do not want us to share your Personal Information with any third-party marketers, please do not select the "opt in" option when submitting your Personal Information, or contact us.
- Third Parties Performing Services. Please note that we may still share certain information with third parties in order to perform certain services related to operation of the Services as described elsewhere in the Policy. We utilize outside businesses to perform certain services relating to our operation of the Services (such as website hosting, ticket sales, membership information management, pressroom, job board management, billing, fulfilment, email hashing for marketing purposes and data storage and security). We share your Collected Information, including Contact and Financial Data, with those businesses only so that they may perform services relating to operation of our Services. If you do not want us to share your Personal Information, including your Contact and Financial Data with our third-party service providers, please contact us. Please understand that such a request will likely limit your ability to take advantage of all of the features and Services we offer.
- Job board: We use a third-party service provider, SnapHire, to host our job board. If you create an online account in order to access the job board, you may review and correct information in your account's personal profile. If you wish to delete your account, you may do so by contacting us.
- Newsroom: We use a third-party service provider, Nasdaq OMX, to host our newsroom. If you create an online account in order to access the Newsroom, you may review and correct your information or delete your account, via your account's personal profile.
- Remarketing through Digital Advertising. If you opt in to receive email communication from us, we may use your email address for remarketing purposes, for example to display advertising on websites and social platforms such as Facebook and Instagram. You can contact us to opt out of remarketing based on your email address.
5. Disclosure of personal information and financial data
We may disclose Personal Information if required to do so by law or legal process served on the Aquarium or its subsidiaries or affiliates, or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (1) facilitate compliance with laws; (2) protect and defend the rights or property of the Aquarium or our Guests; or (3) act under exigent circumstances to protect the safety of the public or our Guests. We may disclose Financial Data if required to do so by law, including in compliance with legal process served on the Aquarium, its subsidiaries or affiliates.
6. Notice concerning children
At the Aquarium, we are especially concerned with protecting the privacy of children who using our Services. We fully support and are in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, though nonprofit organizations such as ours are not subject to its provisions. Please note the following:
- We require the consent of the parent or legal guardian of any Guest under the age of 13 before we collect or use any Personal Information.
- If we collect Personal Information from children, it is only to be able to furnish information regarding participation in programs.
- We do not ask children for other information, and we never share the information we collect with anyone outside of the Aquarium.
- At any time, a child's parent may review the child's Personal Information, ask us to delete it and refuse to allow any further collection or use of information from the child.
- You may consent to our collection of Personal Information from your child by contacting us to identify yourself and your child and authorizing us to collect personal information from your child.
The Services have security measures designed to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of information that we obtain from you. However, you should be careful about the personal information which you provide to us through the Services because we make no assurances about our ability to prevent any loss or expense to you or to any third-party arising out of any breach in our security measures. If you have established an Aquarium online account and become aware that your Guest name or password has been compromised, you must notify us immediately so that we may promptly take the appropriate measures to protect your Personal Information.
8. Website areas beyond the Aquarium’s control
This Policy applies only to Services provided and administered by the Aquarium: www.montereybayaquarium.org, www.seafoodwatch.org, and the Seafood Watch and Monterey Bay Aquarium Mobile Applications. Any other websites, applications or platforms that you may be able to access through our Services may have data collection and use practices and policies that differ materially from this Policy. Please be sure to review third-party policies, as the Aquarium is not responsible for the privacy policies, if any, of such other services.
9. Public forums and third-party platforms
The Services may include or access interactive forums or third-party sites and services such as message boards, social media platforms, chat rooms and third-party websites and applications. The Services may also be accessible through or access third-party sites or platforms, such as social media sites. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas may become public. You should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information through public forums and should carefully review third-party privacy policies and terms and conditions, as we are not responsible for third-party sites or services.
10. Contacting us
If you have any questions about this Policy or our practices related to our Services, or if you would like to manage information in your online account or otherwise related to our Services, please contact us.
11. Your rights
The Aquarium is committed to transparency, fair information practices and the protection of privacy. Your rights in engaging with us include the right to:
- Withhold information: You may choose to withhold your Personal Information from us.
- Opt in to mailing lists: If you wish to receive information and promotional material from us or from our partners, you may select the appropriate "opt in" option each time we ask you for Personal Information.
- Opt out of mailing lists: If you opt in to our email communications, you may unsubscribe by clicking the link at the bottom of the email and following the prompts. If you do not wish to receive mailings from us via U.S. Mail, you may request we remove you from our list by contacting us.
- Request disclosure: You may contact us to request disclosure of the categories and specific pieces of personal information the Aquarium collects about you, the business purposes for collecting the information, and the categories of 3rd parties with which the information is shared.
- Request deletion: You may contact us to request deletion of your personal information. We may maintain personal information when required by law or our legal obligations. In the event we must maintain user personal information following a request for deletion, we will only keep and use data for the specific purpose required to comply with the law or our legal obligations.
12. Updates and changes
This Policy is effective as of the date posted above. We reserve the right, at any time, to revise this Policy simply by posting a revised Policy and without any notice to you. Any such revision will be effective immediately upon posting. Notice will be provided by email (if you have opted-in to receive email communications from us) and on the website.