Farming operation in Vietnam

Minh Phu Project

  • By 2025, 20,000 Minh Phu black tiger shrimp farms in Cà Mau will achieve a Best Choice rating or equivalent.

  • Cà Mau, Vietnam

  • Giant tiger prawn (Penaeus monodon)

  • Ponds: extensive, mixed rice-shrimp and silvoculture

  • 40,000 mt (10 percent of Vietnam’s annual production of giant tiger prawn)

Vietnam Sustainable Shrimp Alliance

  • By 2030, all shrimp in Cà Mau Province will achieve at least a Good Alternative rating or equivalent.

  • Cà Mau, Vietnam

  • Giant tiger prawn (Penaeus monodon) and whiteleg shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei)

  • Ponds

  • ~160,000 mt (40 percent of Vietnam's annual production of all farmed shrimp)

Performance & Trade

Vietnam is one of the world’s largest shrimp producers, and Cà Mau has the highest shrimp production of any province, accounting for 40 percent of Vietnam’s total production. Approximately 84 percent of Vietnam's production of whiteleg shrimp is rated Seafood Watch Avoid and the remaining 16 percent is certified to Global Aquaculture Alliance: Best Aquaculture Practices, 2-, 3-, 4-star or Aquaculture Stewardship Council.

Farmed shrimp is a mainstay of Cà Mau’s economy, with export value of $1 billion per year (approximately 30 percent of the country’s export value) and the industry provides employment for 50 percent of the population. Small-scale farms, independently owned and operated, make up most of the production in Cà Mau. Minh Phu Seafood Corporation is Vietnam’s largest seafood company and has operations across the entire supply chain.
Trade graph 84 percent of Vietnam's production of whiteleg shrimp is rated Avoid and the remaining 16 percent is certified to Global Aquaculture Alliance: Best Aquaculture Practices, 2-, 3-, 4-star or Aquaculture Stewardship Council.
Aerial view of Vietnam farms

Challenges

Shrimp farming in Vietnam faces challenges with disease outbreak, chemical use, data availability and enforcement of regulation. It can also be difficult to ensure that the regulatory oversight, funding, tools and technical knowledge needed to make improvements can reach the thousands of small-scale, family run farms found in Cà Mau province.

Our Approach

Cà Mau People’s Committee, Vietnam Private Sector Development Committee, Monterey Bay Aquarium, the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and 23 founding companies announce the formation of the Vietnam Sustainable Shrimp Alliance (Alliance), a public-private partnership to improve the environmental sustainability of the shrimp aquaculture sector and support livelihoods in Cà Mau Province, Vietnam. This new public-private partnership includes companies representing the entire supply chain, as well as the government and NGO advisors. We and our partners work directly with shrimp farmers to improve practices on their farms. Often this means providing technical best-practices guidance on topics like how to maintain water quality and animal health, prevent animal escapes and collect monitoring data. Based on assessments done with our verification tools, farmers can receive guidance on the development of improvement plans. Going forward, research and technology partners will help us create innovative ways to capture data and provide feedback to farmers to ensure they have stable production that protect surrounding ecosystems.
Minh Phu meeting in Vietnam


Other Global Projects

Learn more about other projects we're involved with around the globe.



Blue swimming crab

Blue Swimming Crab

Blue swimming crab is a commercially important seafood product throughout Southeast Asia. The U.S. market is the main export destination and drives global demand for blue swimming crab.
Salmon

Farmed Salmon

Salmon is one of the most popular and valuable fish on the market. Worldwide, 3.3 million tons of salmon are caught or farmed every year — and this number continues to grow. This demand has led to increased aquaculture production of the fish.
Shrimp

Farmed Shrimp in India

India is the fourth largest producer of whiteleg shrimp globally and accounts for 41 percent of all shrimp imported to the U.S. in 2017.