Seafood Watch scientists visit a shrimp farm in India.
Improving the sustainability of shrimp farming — especially in the top-producing regions of South and Southeast Asia — has the potential to significantly improve ocean health.

  • By 2025, all whiteleg shrimp production in Andhra Pradesh will achieve at least a Good Alternative rating or equivalent.

  • Andhra Pradesh, India

  • Whiteleg shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei)

  • Ponds: intensive and semi-intensive

  • Approximately 375,000 mt (annual production)

Trade graph showing 88 percent of India’s production of whiteleg shrimp is rated Avoid and the remaining 12 percent is certified by Global Aquaculture Alliance: Best Aquaculture Practices, 2-, 3-, 4-star or Aquaculture Stewardship Council.

Performance & Trade

India is the second largest producer of whiteleg shrimp globally. Approximately 88 percent of India’s production of whiteleg shrimp is rated Seafood Watch Avoid and the remaining 12 percent is certified by Global Aquaculture Alliance: Best Aquaculture Practices, 2-, 3-, 4-star or Aquaculture Stewardship Council.

The U.S. is India's largest export market and India accounted for 41 percent of all shrimp imported to the U.S. in 2017.

Challenges

India’s shrimp industry has expanded rapidly since 2014 and has faced challenges with disease outbreak, chemical use, legality of farms and data availability. Given the large production and rapid growth of the shrimp industry, it is vital to work throughout the entire supply chain to address the environmental risks that threaten the long-term sustainability and the livelihoods of millions of people involved in the farmed shrimp industry in India.
Whiteleg shrimp
Seafood Watch scientist works with shrimp farmer in India

Our Approach

This project will use a collaborative multi-stakeholder approach, involving producers, processors, NGOs, seafood buyers, technology providers and the government. The project will focus on improvements with data availability and transparency, shrimp farm siting and registration, chemical use and disease management.


Other Global Projects

Learn more about other projects we're involved with around the globe.



Blue swimming crab

Blue Swimming Crab

Blue swimming crab is a commercially important seafood product throughout Southeast Asia. The U.S. market is the main export destination and drives global demand for blue swimming crab.
Salmon

Farmed Salmon

Salmon is one of the most popular and valuable fish on the market. Worldwide, 3.3 million tons of salmon are caught or farmed every year — and this number continues to grow. This demand has led to increased aquaculture production of the fish.
Shrimp

Farmed Shrimp in Vietnam

Some of the largest players in Vietnam’s shrimp industry have teamed up with Seafood Watch to improve the way shrimp is produced.