Download recipes at www.seafoodwatch.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/recipes/
Mahi Mahi Skewers with Tomatoes and Orzo
Sustainable Seafood Recipe
For a simple fresh dinner, top orzo pasta and grilled fish with lots of chopped summer tomatoes and fresh herbs. Add skewers of red bell peppers, onion wedges, and summer squash for a festive accompaniment. This recipe calls for both basil and marjoram, but would be equally delicious with 1/4 cup of either herb.
Mahi mahi that is pole-and-line or troll-caught from the U.S. Atlantic is a Seafood Watch "Best Choice".
All other U.S.-caught sources are considered a "Good Alternative,"
but "Avoid" all imported mahi mahi caught with a longline.
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless mahi mahi fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 pounds tomatoes (about 2 large), halved, seeds gently squeezed out, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups chopped)
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 1 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot or green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 1/3 cups orzo (rice shaped pasta)
Prepare a barbecue grill with high heat. Combine the mahi mahi, 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let marinate while preparing the tomatoes.
Combine the chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, vinegar, olives, shallot and herbs in another medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Thread the mahi mahi pieces onto the skewers. Add the orzo to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until just tender but still firm to the bite, 8-10 minutes. Drain well and return to the pot. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, place the fish on the grill, cover and cook 4-5 minutes per side. It should be just firm to the touch and appear just opaque in the center when cut into with a small sharp knife.
Spoon the orzo down the center of 4 warmed plates. Place 1 skewer atop each. Spoon the tomato mixture over and serve immediately.
Hint from the Chef
- Mahi mahi is succulent when properly cooked, but dries out if overcooked, so it's important to watch it carefully. If there's a line of darker meat running down the center of the fillet, cut it away for a milder flavor.
Kristine Kidd, Monterey Bay Aquarium Food Editor
Mahi mahi that is pole-and-line or troll-caught from the U.S. Atlantic is a Seafood Watch "Best Choice."All other U.S. caught sources are considered a "Good Alternative," but "Avoid" all imported mahi mahi caught with a longline.
SEAFOOD WATCH FOR iPhone® AND ANDROID
Our app brings you up-to-date recommendations for ocean-friendly seafood and sushi. And the newest version, with Project FishMap, lets you share the locations of restaurants and markets where you've found sustainable seafood. As the map grows, you'll also be able to see what others have found near you.