Download recipes at www.seafoodwatch.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/recipes/
Manila Clams in Spicy Tomato Sauce with Sausage and White Beans
Sustainable Seafood Recipe
Accompany these flavorful braised clams with toasted baguette slices to soak up the spicy sauce. Follow with a romaine salad, and then amaretti cookies and orange slices sprinkled with brown sugar and cinnamon.
Clams are farmed in an environmentally responsible way and are on the Seafood Watch "Best Choices
- (Serves 4)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces spicy Italian sausage (turkey or pork), casings removed
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1, 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 1, 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 pounds Manila clams
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a heavy, large pot or deep skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until brown, crumbling into small pieces with the back of a fork, about 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan, add the garlic and onion, and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the pepper flakes. Add the wine and boil until reduced by half, stirring up any browned bits.
Add the tomatoes, beans and broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Add the clams and sausage. Cover and boil until the clams open, shaking the pan occasionally, about 4 minutes. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the clams and sauce between 4 bowls, discarding any clams that don't open. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Hint from the Chef
- Remove the clams from plastic bags as soon as you get them home. Transfer them to a bowl, cover with a damp towel and store in the coldest part of the refrigerator.
Carla Hall, Owner of Alchemy by Carla Hall and TV host
Clams are farmed in an environmentally responsible way and are on the Seafood Watch "Best Choices" list.
SEAFOOD WATCH FOR iPhone® AND ANDROID
Our app brings you up-to-date recommendations for ocean-friendly seafood and sushi. And the newest version, with Project FishMap, lets you share the locations of restaurants and markets where you've found sustainable seafood. As the map grows, you'll also be able to see what others have found near you.